Friday, August 3, 2012

Nurse-Maid's Elbow

A week (and just a few hours) ago, Hannah made her first appearance in the ER. Luckily for her mama, it was a fairly minor injury that did not include BLOOD of any kind (internal/external....I'm not talking different kinds of blood...) I am thankful for that little mercy. But it was still traumatic in the moment and I nearly cried hot tears with my daughter all the way to the hospital and back (grateful ones the second time around). She had a slight dislocation titled Nurse Maid's Elbow that is very common in babies & toddlers. It was caused when someone accidentally pulled too hard on her arm while picking her up. The awesome doctor who fixed her **in about ten seconds flat** emphasized that it was a common accident, but this only slightly eased my self-blame (I wasn't the one who did it - I am just a guilt-ridden mother) as I still felt I should have prevented it. 


Even a week later, I swell with gratitude re-telling the story as I am thankful it wasn't worse. God is kind and He truly blessed us that night.


This is my awesome brother Jacob who was my rock during the ordeal. Paul had a graveyard shift that night and missed out on the whole experience (thank you Shealee for lending him to me!)


I have never felt so blessed and dare I say, spoiled? at the hospital. It was a strangely QUIET evening and we were ushered right in without a wait. Neither my brother or I have ever seen the waiting room so empty. I am counting my blessings. And thanking Dr. Jemmett and our stellar nurse Lori. And a loving Father in Heaven.


As Ma Ingalls always said, "All's well that ends well."

2 comments:

  1. That is a bad experience. Happened to Emma at church when she was 18 months. It was her first day to go to nursery. Unfortunately I was the one who did it. I had my arms full and wanted to pull her to my hip so I picked her up by one arm. Bad idea. Won't do that again. Grateful everything is well for Hannah. Miss you
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I'm so glad everything turned out alright! I'm so grateful for doctors and nurses who know what they are doing and can ease your nerves. I've experienced both sides and when you are nervous, anxious, scared and emotional it makes all the difference if they have good bedside manner. You are a great mom Mary. I can tell by your blog posts. Don't feel bad. Things happen that are out of our control. She sure is a cutie!! Love her smile!

    ReplyDelete